Top Ten Tuesday was created and is hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. This week's topic is book turn-offs; stuff that you come across as you're reading a book that aggravates you/kind of puts you off finishing it.
I poked at my brain for hours but I could really only think of five that bother me so this list will be super short!
1. Ditzy best friends. I know that ditzy, boy-crazy teenagers do exist and there are quite a few of them. But why does every female YA protag have to have one? My best friend was just as awesome as I was in high school. I feel like some authors do this to make the main character more likable but in reality it just makes me roll my eyes.
2. Books in verse. This isn't really a turn-off, I guess. But if I pick up a book and it's verse, I'll put it back down. I just can't do it. I've tried to read Ellen Hopkins' books so many times but the verse style is just not my cup of tea.
3. Animal death/abuse. I don't even flinch when humans die but killing off an animal gives me some crazy feels and not the good kind. I understand that it's sometimes beneficial to the plot but that doesn't mean I have to like it! This also applies to movie/television. I actually almost stopped watching The Walking Dead forever because of the horse scene ...
4. Instalove. I INSTAHATE INSTALOVE. That is all.
5. Text speak. Not everybody uses text speak when writing texts/emails/IMs. I detest it with a passion, even in real life. "Wnt 2 go 2 movies 2tmrw?" Really? REALLY? Can this stop being a thing, please? In real life AND books.
Do any of these things turn you off as well? If not, let me know what some of your book turn-offs are!